Sometimes the simple pleasures in life are more satisfying.
One of my favourites is grilled cheese on toast; but not just ordinary cheese on plain old toast.
A favourite recipe is grilled parmesan on toasted bread brushed with good quality olive oil.
- Left over (or fresh) bread eg. a baguette; ensure that it is bread that will toast well; some don’t. A baguette is ideal for size; cut the bread with a medium thickness.
- Brush both sides of the bread with a good quality olive oil; ‘extra virgin’ if you have it.
- Sprinkle freshly shaved parmesan on one side of the bread; be generous. (If you must, then use grated parmesan bought from the supermarket.)
- Optionally add any spices eg. pepper, cayenne; I prefer just coarsely ground black pepper.
- Place on tray on a sheet of bake proof paper; saves on washing up.
- Place tray in a pre-heated oven @ 170 degrees C.
- Bake until it is crisp and golden brown; in about 11-15 minutes.
Eat warm; ideally with a friend.